This month is the 10-year anniversary of the founding of Red Storm Entertainment. As a commemoration, I’m doing a two-parter on my experience as lead designer on Tom Clancy’s Politika. Not a well-rated or beloved game by any stretch, but I thought that relating our experience would help any aspiring designers out there to avoid the mistakes we made. This week I’m covering the things that I thought didn’t go so well — tune into the previous episode to hear the game description and the things that I thought succeeded.
- Thanksgiving not fun when sick
- Listen to Tracy and Laura Hickman’s Dragonhearth!
- Game description
- Bad stuff #1: Combat model
- Bad stuff #2: Random placement and zero-sum game
- Bad stuff #3: Long turns and number of players
- Bad stuff #4: Components
- Bad stuff #5: Special abilities
- Bad stuff #6: Playtesting
- Listen to Game Addict Hotline!
- Contact me for free Politika stuff
One thing I didn’t make clear is that the giveaway is for the Politika boardgame. I also have copies of the computer game, but they might be hard to get running on today’s systems. Still, if you want ‘em…